Sunday, January 26, 2014

I Somehow Compare The Both to Hopsin

As I listened to "Milwaukee", a pre-release single from the braintrust combination of Aimee Mann and Ted Leo, aka The Both, for the first time, it occurred to me that I just listened to a simplified version of a fair meeting spot for the two writers. It was well written and cleverly worded, Aimee sounded great, but it was sure stripped down, and maybe not in the best or most befitting way.

"That was a decent song", I thought to myself as I prepared to take my browser elsewhere, only to realize the song was a minute in to a track that clocked in at 4:21. I thought it was nearing the end. That satisfactory feeling was already there.

In the remaining 3 minutes and 21 seconds, two very, very seasoned songwriters managed to say an album's worth of words, seamlessly transitioning theme to theme, get the chorus well stuck in your head, and leave you with little choice but to press the play button again. If you're familiar with Hopsin's "Ill Mind of Hopsin 5", you undoubtedly know what feeling I'm talking about, in terms of immediate first listen replay value and interest.

By the end of the second listen, I felt like I'd just listened to a full length pop rock masterpiece, only to, again, realize that I'd just listened to one song twice. If these mental take-by-surprises are indicative in the least of what's to come from the (finally released) debut record from these two...well, this is where I insert whatever phrase works best to properly relay my hope and excitement.

You can listen to "Milwaukee" by The Both here. Have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment